Sunday, May 9, 2010

...They Are Life

May 9

Some people think the Bible is a book of fables and are prone to disregard its wisdom. Others think it is the timeless Word of the eternal God. I cast my lot
with the latter. Because I trust the inerrancy of the Word, I stake my hope upon it for time and eternity.

The Word encourages me when I am down because it offers me hope in every circumstance I face in life. The Word anchors me because its historical passages abound with evidence of God’s faithfulness to past generations. The Word convicts me because it requires me to live by its just admonitions.

It is unlike any other book that I may read and enjoy and set aside for another work by another author. It is a treasure trove of wisdom and insight because I find something to meet my need, no matter what that need may be, every time I open its pages. I am drawn to it again and again. I cannot exhaust its benefit to me.

Proverbs 4:20-22 affirms the Lord’s own position regarding His Word through Solomon, the primary human author of the book. Here he says, “Pay attention to My words, listen closely to My sayings…for they are life to those who find them, and health to ones whole body.” They are spiritual life eternally, and they are emotional and physical life in this realm of time—worthy of all my trust and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment