Thursday, September 22, 2011

With Us Everywhere

September 22

In Psalm 139, David asked a profound question. The Psalmist had spent many years fleeing from Saul who viewed him as a threat to his reign and therefore a mortal enemy. Though David had no intention of usurping the throne, the king was threatened by the knowledge that God had selected David to eventually replace him as the leader of Israel.

David’s experience with Saul caused him to ponder the question of where he stood with the Lord. In verses 7 and 8 he asked, “Where can I flee from Your Spirit? Whither shall I go from Your presence? If I ascend into Heaven, You are there. If I make my bed in Hell, even there Your eyes see me.”

The Psalmist acknowledged the all-encompassing reach of God’s presence even further in verses 9 and 10 where he said, “If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost part of the sea, even there shall Your hand lead me and Your strong right hand will hold me.”

David recognized that there was no place that he could go that God would not be present and he realized that he should therefore in all places, “…praise Thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…” Psalm 139:14. Like David, we know the Lord is with us everywhere, and for this, we, too should praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment