Monday, October 10, 2011

Only Christ

October 10

What’s the point of aspiring to goals that are virtually unattainable? A famous line in a movie was, “A man’s got to know his limitations.” That’s a point well taken. We have to be aware of our limitations or we will be forever yearning to have things that will never be ours, we will be forever aspiring to attain goals we can never reach.

If I am of ordinary appearance, I probably shouldn’t pack my bags and move to Hollywood and wait to be discovered for the movies. If I am of limited intellect, I probably shouldn’t aspire to invent some new thing that will revolutionize the way the world functions.

If I tend to be self-focused, I am not a candidate to serve the Red Cross or establish the next missionary outreach to some suffering pocket of humanity in a remote corner of the globe. But there is one lofty aspiration for which I should reach, for the Word of God tells me that I must.

In I Peter 1:15, 16, the impetuous apostle says, “Just as God who called you is holy, so be ye holy in all that you do, for it is written, ‘Be holy because I am holy.’” That’s a tall order for those of us who dwell in a tabernacle of flesh. That’s an unattainable goal for anyone to accomplish alone. Only Christ who is holy can impart holiness to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment