Sunday, January 8, 2012

Are We There Yet?

January 8

Ever taken a trip with children? If so, the inevitable and oft-repeated, “Are we there yet?” is still ringing in your ears. You try to keep them occupied along the way with activities such as, ‘I see something that starts with…’ and it keeps them busy for a while, but before long, you’re back to square one (Are we there yet?)

The Word of God offers a solution to the dilemma of what to do to keep the kids busy when traveling with them. It requires a depth of knowledge of the Word on the part of the parent and it affords his young ones a marvelous lesson about his heritage as a person of faith.

Deuteronomy 6:6, 7 says, “These commandments that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you travel along the road. Speak of them when you lie down and when you rise up.”

The laws of God are so important to Him that He wants to assure every child is made aware of them. How does He want this wonderful knowledge to be conveyed? Through caring, godly parents who share the truth of God’s Word with their young ones in every activity of life.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I used that scripture as part of my grandmother's eulogy. She was one of the most godly women I know. She rarely had an empty car going to church on Sundays. She was more concerned about a person's relationship with God than anything else and she had such a soft spot for children. I miss her terribly, but am so appreciative of the legacy she left with me and my girls.
    Thanks!
    Susan Duff

    ReplyDelete