Thursday, March 8, 2012

He Alone

March 8

Job was a man who knew where he stood before God. Job knew that he had favor with God because he was a man who made the Almighty his priority. Job did not trust in his wealth or his political clout, although he was the wealthiest man of his day. No. He was a man who understood that the only place where trust could be confidently placed was in God.

When things began to go awry in his life and his ‘friends’ challenged his walk with God, he knew better than to give ear to their accusations. In fact, he invited them to “Teach me and I shall be quiet; show me where I have been wrong” Job 6:24. This was an ‘in-your-face’ challenge to his misguided accusers to find any area of his life where he had not fully honored the Holy One.

Not many of us have such an exemplary track record. Not many of us could face the kind of trial Job endured without wondering if somehow, some way, we had offended God and were reaping the just penalty of our transgression. Yes, we know Christ has paid the price; we know we are washed clean; yet we, in our humanity, sometimes attempt to reassume responsibility for the sins we know are covered by His shed blood.

We need to be more like Job who was unshaken in his confidence that he stood righteous before our Holy God. When we stand in the security of what Jesus has done for us, we may say as did Job and David who looked forward to Christ’s finished work, “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my Rock and my Salvation, my fortress. I will never be shaken” Psalm 62:1, 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment