Thursday, October 25, 2012

Because of Who He Is

October 25

In Isaiah 43:25, the Lord God of all that exists (the extent of which our finite minds cannot begin to imagine) declares, “I, even I, am the One who forgives all your sins. For My own sake, I will not remember your sins.” He forgives us because of Who He is, not because of who we are.

His mercy and compassion cause Him to declare He will not remember our transgressions. He repeats this glorious assurance in Hebrews 8:12 where He says, I will forgive them for the wicked things they have done; I will not remember their sins anymore.”

Though we have this unimaginable blessing of our God being absent minded where our sins are concerned, we are not given His leave to sin with impunity. In Isaiah 55:7, He says, “The wicked should stop their evil thoughts; they should turn to the Lord so He may have mercy on them and freely forgive them.”

In I John 1:9, the beloved Apostle reframes this concept slightly by saying, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” When Jesus has washed us clean in His own shed blood, we are free from past sins and equipped to live our lives without indulging transgression.

No comments:

Post a Comment