Wednesday, December 22, 2021

"White Christmas"

 "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin

A popular Christmas carol during World War II was "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas," written in 1942 by Irving Berlin, a Russian Jewish immigrant to America who had served in the U.S. infantry during World War I.
Irving Berlin's "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" was featured in the 1954 movie White Christmas, starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera-Ellen, and Rosemary Clooney--aunt of actor George Clooney.
"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten,
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow ...
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white."
On CHRISTMAS EVE, December 24, 1944, President Franklin Roosevelt had told the American people: "It is not easy to say 'Merry Christmas' to you, my fellow Americans, in this time of destructive war but we will celebrate this Christmas Day in our traditional American way ... because the teachings of Christ are fundamental in our lives; we cherish and will celebrate the story of the coming of the immortal Prince of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment