Monday, March 30, 2009

March 30

Among the most comforting words of scripture are those found in Psalm 23:5,6 where it says, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, You anoint my head with oil, my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

The idea of having the protection that allows one to sit at the table of complete provision even in enemy territory is an astounding promise! In the old days, ones head was anointed with oil if he were an honored guest and the Lord sets His table before His children in the midst of their trouble with such leisurely ease that He is able to take time to politely anoint their heads before they dine with Him!

Not only are the common courtesies of the day extended, but the full meal is set forth! To have an over-brimming cup states clearly that there is no haste in the preparing of or in the partaking of this sumptuous meal. That the cup runs over suggests that the entire meal is lavish!

From this amazing word picture of comfort in the midst of battle, we see His ability to extend His goodness and mercy far beyond the immediate time of trouble into the future where “goodness and mercy shall follow all the days of my life”! And even more beautiful than a lifetime of His blessing and provision is the promise that He also assures our eternal abode in the corridors of Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment