Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 26

We have a fig tree that grows in our living room. It is special to me because my grandfather had three fig trees that he cultivated in his garden. This was an amazing horticultural feat on his part because the cold winters of our part of the country did not allow the growth of fig trees.

My grandfather’s skill enabled him to bury the fig trees underground during the harsh winter months. I was very proud of him—especially when he gave me three fresh figs to give to my second grade teacher. She didn’t believe me when I told her my grandfather had grown them on his trees because she knew figs weren’t supposed to grow in our region.

Just as my grandfather’s fig trees were given extraordinary care; just as our fig tree grows indoors, so the God who loves us tends our lives so they will be able to flourish despite the adverse storms of life. He will put His hedge of protection around us to assure that the harsh cold of life’s realities will not diminish our ability to survive and flourish until the bitter winds subside.

If we allow Him to do so, He will plant us within the walls of His own house to shield us from the storms of life. Psalm 52:8 says, “I am like a flourishing olive tree in the house of God. I trust in God’s faithful love forever and ever.” Our association with people of faith further assures that we will be surrounded by prayer in His house in the cold seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment