Tuesday, December 13, 2011

In His House

December 13

There are those who assert the futility of church attendance. Never mind that the Bible itself says, “Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together,” Hebrews 10:25, and we know Paul had the heart of God in the matter, for all his writing was anointed by the Holy Spirit. So why do we think it’s unnecessary to go regularly? Christmas? Easter? Sure, but every Sunday!?

Perhaps a few other scripture verses might speak to the issue. Think for a moment about, “I will meditate upon Your precepts and consider Your ways,” Psalm 119:15, or “I will ponder all Your works and consider all Your mighty deeds,” Psalm 77:12. Where better to meditate upon the precepts of God and to ponder His mighty deeds than in church?

Then there’s the wonderful call to celebrate Him in Psalm 104:33-34 which says, “I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. May my meditation be pleasing to Him as I rejoice in Him.” If these directives aren’t sufficient to prompt us to be found in His house, among His people, worshiping Him, perhaps the admonition of Psalm 48:9 can persuade us! Here David says, “Within Your temple, O God, I will meditate on Your unfailing love.”

Although the whole earth is His and there is nowhere that we may flee from His Spirit (Psalm 139:7-12), although we should give ourselves to praise and thanks to our mighty God wherever we are (Hebrews 13:15), still, being in church is an excellent place to tap the heart of the Lord and to bask in the love He lavishes upon those who’ve come to praise and worship Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment