Thursday, February 2, 2012

Our Strong Tower Of Safety

February 2

David, shepherd, psalmist, warrior, king, had much about which he could have allowed himself to fear. From his earliest youth, he tended his father’s sheep in an environment that was frequented by predators from which he was required to defend not only the sheep but himself. At that juncture in his life he was also called upon to fight a giant!

The ancient Philistines were sworn enemies of the people of God and their hatred of Israel was so intense that many of their descendants maintain the same animus toward God’s chosen ones today. David volunteered to fight Goliath, the imposing Philistine hero. David felled him with a single stone from his slingshot.

David became the darling of King Saul’s court until the king’s jealousy rose up because of his popularity. Then, the young man who had been anointed as Israel’s future king (see I Samuel 16:7-13), had to begin a defensive action against Saul. David refused to harm the king; he knew God would bring him to the throne in His own time. When he became King of Israel, David’s warfare against the Philistines continued, but he trusted the Lord through all his battles.

In Psalm 16:8-9 he said, “I have set the Lord always before me; He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. My heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my whole being rests secure in Him.” May we, too, find our complete refuge in our Lord who has promised He will not forsake us (Hebrews 13:5), for His name is still our strong tower of safety (Proverbs 18:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment