Wednesday, February 13, 2013

God Speaks Today--To You

February 13

Speak, Lord, for Thy servant hears. Samuel the Prophet in I Samuel 3:10

God speaks in many ways (See: I Samuel 3:10, Luke 12:12, John 14:26, Acts 1:15-26 for just a few examples of God speaking to men.)

Sometimes the Lord will speak to your spirit. Sometimes Jesus will speak audibly through a human voice. Sometimes He may speak through an angel or in a dream. There is no limitation to His ability to communicate with His people, but He speaks most consistently through His Holy Word the Bible.

One of the loveliest times of His speaking to me was when I thought I had cast aspersions upon Him by declaring a prophetic word that seemed unlikely to come to pass. I was depressed at having made a fool of myself—and having made the God who speaks today appear to be a figment of my own imagination. But His message to me, which lifted my spirit and assured me He does indeed still speak to His people was, "There's a daughter of Mine…who thinks she's foolishly cast aspersions on Me because she spoke My word. I want her to know that tomorrow she shall see My glory."

The next day I encountered the person to whom I’d given the prophetic word and he told me he'd received a phone call the night before which affirmed the prophecy the Lord had spoken through me. The voice I had heard was a human voice but it conveyed God's message to me in a way I won't ever forget. But usually, when God speaks, He formulates His message within my own heart, in my own mind, where He allows me to gain an insight into His plan.

He does the same thing with you. He speaks to your feelings, to your hopes, to your dreams. Perhaps He speaks through the words you hear or read or through strangers who know nothing of your circumstances. But because He loves you, He does speak; because He loves you, He does desire to guide you, to affirm you, to lift you up. When something good comes along, that furthers the dreams and visions you have for yourself, give God the glory.

In so doing, you establish yourself as a candidate for hearing from Him again and again and again and again...Don't negate the encouragement you receive from Him, don't dismiss it, don't deny it. Embrace it, thank Him for it, for as you do, you demonstrate to yourself that your relationship with your Savior is alive and active; it is a reality that is the bedrock of your life. I trust the Lord to give you some encouragement every day, to speak to you through His “…still, small voice,” I Kings 19:11, 12, messages of hope and joy and truth and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment