Thursday, May 23, 2013

Even Life's Storms Reflect His Glory

May 23

Here in the United States, we're grieving with our brothers and sisters in the Oklahoma City region, which was hit (on May 20, 2013) by a massive tornado system with winds exceeding 200 miles per hour, killing at least 24 people and leaving thousands homeless. Please join me in prayer for everyone affected. Mike Huckabee

"As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again." Psalm 71:14-24

This precious scripture reminds me of another beautiful word from the Word, the psalm that says, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning," Psalm 30:5. Then, of course there is the amazing promise, "In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world," John 16:33.

We live in a fallen world and things go wrong. In our own lives, our foibles and sins take a toll on how life goes for us and even nature goes completely haywire when events like this horrible tornado occur. The outcomes of the problems we face range from minimal discomfiture to maximum ordeal, but through it all, we have hope--because we have His promise.

The trial we face may cause us to weep, but it has a time when He will speak to our weeping as He spoke to the storm, "Peace, be still," (Mark 4:39). The peace He gives can indeed calm the storm--or it can calm us in the midst of the storm. It can be His "peace that passes understanding," Philippians 4:7, that will keep our heart and our mind in Christ Jesus," in spite of the storm.

As the beautiful song by Matt Redmond assures us:

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back, I know You are near
And I will fear no evil For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear? Whom then shall I fear?

Oh no, You never let go through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go! Lord, You never let go of me.

I love you and I trust the Lord Jesus to be with you through every experience of life--and I trust Him to speak to every storm that confronts you, "Peace, be still," as He causes your life to be a reflection of His glory, power, peace, and love.

1 comment: