Sunday, November 22, 2020

I Saw Him

 I Saw Him

It was a star-struck thirteen year old who stood with her friends along the motorcade route that had been redirected to our street because of road construction (an endless task in Pennsylvania) on the main street of town.
John F. Kennedy, candidate for President of the United States drove by. He was as close to me as I am to this computer as I type. The top was down and he was in the rear seat on the passenger side of the car. He reached out to the kids standing there (who were not old enough to vote) and smiled at us warmly.
It was the most beautiful smile I'd ever seen!
He was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen!
He was tanned and his eyes sparkled with an inner joy. He exuded the confidence of a soldier who had fought and helped to win a major world conflict (READ PT 109 for more information about his heroics in WW II). He possessed the confident self-awareness of a man who was accustomed to being admired. He had the assurance of a man who knows he can attain anything he wants to possess. And he had the dignity of one who was confident he would hold the highest office in the land.
That sunny moment was fleeting, but here I am, all these years later, remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment