Monday, June 4, 2012

Strong, Firm, and Steadfast

June 4

When God seems indifferent to the plight of a believer, discouragement can set in. It takes great resolve to adopt the mindset of the Christian, imprisoned in the Bastille during the French Revolution who affirmed his faith in the midst of one of the most horrific epochs of human history.

On the wall of his cell in that notorious prison he wrote, “I believe in the sun, even when it is not shining. I believe in love, even when I cannot feel it. I believe in God, even when He is silent.” Indeed there have been times in the lives of every person of faith when it seemed God was silent.

Even Jesus, as He hung on the cross, expressed that sense of separation from God—which He who had done no sin, experienced in our behalf. He said, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” (Matthew 27:46) He who was God could not be separated from God, but because He bore our sin, the sense of unity eluded Him.

When a person of faith endures trial and the perception of oneness with Christ is faint, he must then be mindful of I Peter 5:10 which says, “The God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have endured a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast.” Trust Him to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment