Monday, January 25, 2016

The Teacher's Song



           * The Teacher’s Song

Come, children, take me by the hand,
I’ll lead to field and meadow land.
I’ll lead to seas and forests fair,
I’ll lead to distant places where
Time stands still and none grow old,
I’ll lead to warriors brave and bold!
I’ll lead to hidden jungles deep
Where stalking eyes seem n’er to sleep;
I’ll lead to deserts wide and parched
Where conquering armies never marched,
For even brave men fear to trod
Terrain left so forgot by God.
We’ll walk the paths of history,
Meet those preceding you and me.
We’ll hearken to enchanter’s tale,
With mariners we’ll boldly sail.
We’ll scale the heights, the depths, the peaks
As all earth’s wisdom to us speaks
From wide expanse and hidden nooks
We’ll ply together in these books!

* This poem was written in the 1990s by a fifth grade teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment