Monday, July 27, 2020

Puzzling

Puzzling
They say that old people are easily confused and that may be what is happening to me because much of what I see around me is virtually inscrutable to me.
One of the things that baffle me is the fact that lawlessness seems to prevail in this land that was established on the finest body of law that any nation in the world enjoys. Our CONSTITUTION establishes our rights and our responsibilities.
I am in a quandary as to why looters and rioters appear to have the right to "steal, kill and destroy," while law abiding citizens stand by unprotected, watching the fruit of their labors destroyed in the mayhem.
Another thing that eludes my understanding regards our concept of beauty. Women of my generation strove to protect the one evidence of youth -- their skin -- from the ravages of age. We slathered ourselves with creams and lotions, we wore protective covering from the sun, and we chose make-up that guaranteed to enhance our youthful appearance.
Today's young women cover their flawless skin with tattoos! Those of us who long for our day of flawless beauty can only scratch our heads in wonder at today's scheme for camouflaging that youthful loveliness with ink!
And the sanctity of marriage is another relic of a by-gone era. Oh, yes, our generation saw divorce and unfaithfulness, but while we may have fallen short individually of God's admonition to life-long commitment to one partner, the societal consensus was that marriage was for life.
As my husband and I approach our 48th wedding anniversary, I am sure there have been a few times along our way that he may have considered murder, but divorce has never been in his thoughts. And although he may sometimes drive me out of my mind, I cannot fathom life apart from him.
Most surprising of all the topics I might add to this incomplete list of baffling changes I have seen in my long life, the one that causes me the most perplexity is the fact that so many young people have abandoned the faith of our fathers.
In a time when wars and rumors of war, and lawlessness, and marital discord, and moral upheaval are every-day occurrences, I am totally amazed that we are not universally on our knees imploring the Holy One to be merciful to us, to revive us, to deliver us from the corruption of the age.
May each of us endeavor to overcome our preoccupation with the things of time and be mindful of the treasures of eternity. May each of us strive to bind together in faith and in love to those who do not know our CHRIST or understand HIS salvation.
May we lay our lives at HIS feet again, with the sincere fervor of our early commitment to HIS purposes. May we pray with full hearts for our land, according to II Chronicles 7:14. May we bind together in love, without regard to race or ethnicity. May we rise in "that same power that raised JESUS from the dead and lives in us," (Romans 8:11) to great heights of faith that can pull down strongholds.
May we die to our self, that we may live eternally. And as we rise in faith and in power, may we bring the lost with us to HIS Throne of Mercy and Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment