Thursday, July 23, 2020

SCAM Phone Calls

SCAM Phone Calls
Here is an example of how scam phone calls work:
Caller:
‘Good morning, According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
Call Recipient:
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
Caller:
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information. But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So may I have your mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
Call Recipient:
'Ok (gives address)'
Caller:
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalize this and send the kit to you.'
Call Recipient:
'A payment card? I thought this was all free?'
Caller:
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of $50 for the kit and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
Call Recipient:
'No - that's not right.'
Caller:
'I'm afraid it is. Please give me the card number -- this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Call Recipient:
Puts the phone down.
Vulnerable people will fall for this scam.
DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment